Please share your thoughts about this program with us.
Your responses are critical in helping AOP develop new music!
Monday, June 25th at 7pm at HERE Arts Center
libretto reading of the opera-in-progress
Libretto by Matt Gray / Music by Raymond J. Lustig
Additional lyrics by Matthew Doherty
Featuring Q&A with the creators and artists and Dr. Warren D. Widmann, Clinical Professor of Surgery at State University of New York Downstate Medical Center
Ryan Andes* Dr. Ignaz Semmelweis
Megan Ketch* Oona
Paul Schneider Dr. Jakob Kolletschka
Alisha Spielmann* Maria Semmelweis
Angus Hepburn* Dr. Johann Klein
Harrison Unger Dr. Ferdinand von Hebra
Olivia Baseman * Bianka
Matthew Foster Government Minister, Dr. Skoda, various
Jerry Marsini Habsburg General, Dr. Rokitansky, various
Marguerite French* Revolutionary, Nurse in Records Dept., various
Denice Kondik Stage directions, Head Nurse
*Appears courtesy Actors Equity Association
Your response is essential to the creative process. Please take a moment to respond to the following questions or provide your additional comments below.
- What are the most memorable moments from the libretto?
- What scenes, characters, ideas, etc. did you find confusing, ineffective, or unnecessary?
- Were you bored? If so, at what point did you feel the story started to lag?
- What is this story most fundamentally about for you? If you had to put the essence of this play into a single sentence, what would it be?
- Does the revolution analogy work for you? Is there too much, or not enough, emphasis on the political revolution?
- How do you interpret the meta-narrative passages? What do they bring to the overall work? Do they work?
- Do you think Semmelweis is an effective title for the work? Do you have other title suggestions?